Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Being Sarong-ed and Conversant

When I went to Sedili and got my tan (Accidentally), A told me that the tan made me look like an SPG.

Everyone knows what an SPG is. My reaction to it was indifferent. Why should I care if I know that I am not one? I am not overdramatic like that. And I was also wondering what has my tan (Or burn… rather) got to do with being an SPG?

Initially, my definition of an SPG is only of ‘an Asian women who prefers Caucasian men to locals, someone who is on constant prowl of a white man in hopes of becoming like them.’

I wiki-ed the term today and it came up with this;


"Common traits and stereotypes"

The stereotypical Sarong Party Girl has extremely tanned skin, a false foreign accent, and is provocatively dressed. Originally, the outfit of choice was thought to be a bikini/tank-top paired with a sarong, but that has changed. Many of them frequent nightclubs or other nightspots that are popular with expatriate white men, in order to meet and form relationships with them.

Sarong Party Girls in local entertainment are usually portrayed as gold - digging
, husband-snatching Asian sirens…”

Owh… that explains the tan part.

While I don’t deny that there are women who literally ONLY date Caucasians and they do that ONLY because the dude makes more money, I don’t think it is fair to label all expat – dating / marrying Asian women as one.

Much less a tanned single woman who just happened to meet and attract a lot of these expat pricks.

I do date and have dated local men. A few of my exes were local men. I hang out at night spots. Could not do anything if it happened to be the same spot where a few expats happened to hang out at also. Takkan nak halau pulak?

What’s the big deal about having a lot of foreigners as friends? I think it’s enriching, it’s mind opening and it bares you to the world rather than to be oystered in with the ridiculous local outlook on things all the time.

I have to admit that I do get irritated with some of my guy-friends who enjoy slapping the label on all women who either marries or dates an expat. They threw crass, immature remarks across the table about how the women are just into their money and nothing else.

“Look. The only reason why you guys failed to get our attention is because of your lack of personality and intelligence. Not to mention your limited vocabulary, your inability to digest a theory any bigger than your own manhood, and also your ‘basi’ technique of getting a woman’s attention. DON’T blame us for being picky, blame yourself for not getting on with the program – la.”

I am blunt, in a ‘slamba derk’ kind of way. Although I do have a penchant for black men, I don’t rule out the possibility of me dating a man of my own creed as well. I do have a few ‘Mat Sallehs’ on my heels that I am trying to shake off. They are boring and they are just… mentally, not my type at all. They are comparable to a few local men I had the bad luck of knowing and good luck of dumping.

Clueless, men… *Roll eyes*.

Found this on the internet, and now we have our own Sarong Party Blokes!


--

Dear God,

It’s been approximately about a week since my last conversation to You. Ahh… remember that one night when the moon was shining pretty fiercely and I could see exactly how it looks like from my bedroom window… I think it was one of those lazy Saturdays.

Of course You remembered right?

I was actually just talking silly that night. I think I summarized what happened to me in that week. I thanked you for Your blessings even though what I had was a series of routine happenings. Things that happen any other day, normal insignificant things like driving in front of a gorgeous dude who drives a Beemer.

Thank You for that brief eye candy!

Hey, in my life and in this part of the world, that’ll pretty much make my mornings.

Anyway… this is my very first Blog entry dedicated to You. We have to move with the times now right? Afterall, the first person who came up with Blogs could not possibly claim the credit all to himself right? Heh.

Hell... (No pun intended...) even Oscar winners thanked you incessantly for their spoils.

Yours Truly,

Sarcy

--


Well, not quite Neale Donald Walsch but hey, for someone who has just picked up the book and has barely gone pass the first few pages, that’s my version of MY conversation With God.

The book was recommended to me by Suz, and I must say, it got me hooked. I have book I, II & III to occupy me for the whole month already.

pic courtesy of Amazon.com

Now I know what to do this weekend. Venue? I am thinking, Hyatt poolside.

Joining?

12 comments:

  1. Attitude counts! White or Black men have a different attitude to local men.

    Ladies HAVE to be treated as how ladies ARE to be treated and this do not happen when you're dating a local man!

    Local men are calculative..they always think they want some benefit if they were to spend some money on the girls...this does not apply to foreign men.

    Local men thinks himself as MR Big if he has a girl on his side and they do not know how to hold a decent conversation to keep you focused! Most times, they are not focused themselves!

    Another strange think I have discovered is that..a local guy changes with time whereas a white or black guy does not change...if you knew him as a gentleman...he will be the same gentleman as time goes by.......

    if he was a jerk , he will always be that same jerkass...most local men change from gentleman to jerk...can someone explain that to me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. On SPGs...it's all crap...just coz you have a tan you get labelled?..
    so what if I am an SPG or looked upon as an SPG..I can do it...can they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hear! Hear! Well put Sarcy!

    Aristotle once said that it is only natural to find someone on your level because that relationship is something that will carry on for years to come.

    Surely we would love to find someone good to tie the knot with. The fact that a high number of Malaysian women remained spinsters should be an eye opener to the Malaysian men that they really should start upping their standards to keep up with the women.

    Education aside, most Malaysian men cannot carry on an intelligent conversation to save their souls!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nyah, booking kan Mak yang nomor dua dari kiri tu ye. Lazat berkrim disukai ramai. *Jilat bibir dan lain2*

    ReplyDelete
  5. mommy feline,camne u jilat 'lain2' tu?teach me!teach me!LOL :p

    neway babe,chill.we know u're not on of em spg-s..;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ladies, there are as many caucasian pricks as they are local pricks so dont assume white is better. in fact, due to our prejudice against local men, we tend to put up more when the white boys mistreat us. Also, dont assume there are a lot more spinsters in malaysia than overseas. i have caucasian friends here in the US/EU who are having as much difficulty dating a decent guy (their 'local guy') as a malaysian girl.
    at the end of the day, look beyond color and creed, betoi tak?
    (some angmoh - my hubby for example - is more Asian in values, then i am, while some melayu men i have dated are more matsalleh than the ori version..tek ker konfius!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. by the way sarcy, this is why i ADORE you blog! your postings often bring about interesting debates!
    well done girl!
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. foreign men are not calculative? if you ladies only knew what they say and how they act behind your backs...

    ReplyDelete
  9. ice,

    well... the tanned part might be due to some of those filipinos hanging out back then at the clubs. might be.

    well, i think caucasians are every bit calculative. i knew it by experience... :)

    Diamond babe,

    true. the only reason why a woman decided to give up on men is because there are just lacking in every way. like them, we also have standards, though our standards are more abstract then theirs...

    and aye about Malaysian men not able to hold a conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cik Intan,

    ekau nak yang mano? amiklah nyah... den tak kisah dah... hehe...

    Tiena,

    mak tau, irritated saja.

    Ms. J,

    exactly, and again, speaking from experience. it is so true and yet some of the babes i know thought i had it all. how wrong can they be?? i dunno.

    and thank you darl... hehe... i try.

    Des, i thot ALL men are like that. (I meant the talking behind our backs bit.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. not ALL la. but my point was more towards the things said.

    your foreigner bf/partner may seem to be kind, caring, well mannered and all that is no guarantee he's really like that (just like the rest of us, eh?).

    i've seen a fair number of mat sallehs being told by their more senior members that they can get laid simply by virtue of being white. and i've lost count the number of gwailos who's an angel in front of the gf but the moment she's out of earshot tells us he's only with her for the sex.

    at the end of the day, tepuk dada tanya selera.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Des,

    *tepuking dada, tanya-ing selera*

    :P..

    first and foremostly, he is my fling. i don't miss him the way i miss someone whom i'd want tobe with for real. i just, dont feel all that.. la, and sometimes kan, i really ask myself why.

    i think, i am just sooooo tired that the thought of starting over with another guy, any guy for tht matter, threw me off... even though being single and independent is not like 24-7 funla kan...

    haiya.. bagaimanapon... i lap you my brotha!

    ReplyDelete