Monday, September 9, 2013

The truth about Yoga practitioners

Whenever I tell new friends about my yoga practice, they seemed to look at me a in a whole different light.

They would expect me to be annoyingly cheerful, irritatingly enlightened, even impossibly spiritual.

My friends, the truth is far from it.

Yoga practitioners are, first of all, human. Man and woman. And we are flawed, in every screwed up way.

I know of a yoga teacher who was too obsessed about being yogic. He was almost, arrogant, saying that he is, at this point, far better than his Guru. I am sure that is not for us to say. And I am sure, even if that is true, it should be said with humility and hope, not with arrogance.

I started Yoga, truthfully, 5 years ago, on and off. It wasn't until 2011 that I start to take Yoga more seriously, and managed to make Yoga a part of my daily life, when one part of my life took a hit last year.

I embraced Yoga more when Tom died. I depended on my time on my mat for peace and calm. Yoga was the ONLY thing that could get my mind off the loss.

Even now, as I type, I still think about that fateful morning. It feels different, but it is still painful.

No, Yoga practitioners are not perfect. In fact, Yoga teaches us to first of all, be human. It reminds us of our human limitations, both physically and mentally.

Most importantly, it teaches us about Humility. No matter what belief you hold on to, be humble.

On our 'expensive' mats, wrapped in our 'organic' garbs, we are all humbled and bow down to our feeble human limitations.

With Love, Namaste.

Ayu




No comments:

Post a Comment