Monday, June 21, 2010

L

I remembered feeling, happy and glad, the last time I left my first long term employer, KM**. I was there for 3 years and a half.

I was ecstatic when I left that one fuck of a company namely, Lyr***. I lasted two years there.

(I rarely jump jobs in less than a year. Doesn't look good on the CV. I have a friend who jump two jobs in a year.. I was like wth??? How??? And both high paying jobs. I want to be him (Although, not really.))

With KM**, I was not given an avenue to grow. Our pay raise can sometimes be less than RM 50 and my boss was an old psycho. Before that, it was a not so old psycho. I persevered because the job was exciting.

When I joined Lyr***, the job was simple and for a short period of time, I was actually happy.

When my then boss left and the new boss arrived, that pretty much kicked off the whole racism nightmare I had to go through.

There is a reason why I hate Singaporeans the way I do and it's all because of Lyr***. The MD for the company is Singaporean and I have never known anyone as biased and as stupid as him. All the sales team in Singapore were also some of the most racist, arrogant and snobbish creatures that walked the earth. I am not exaggerating here.

I have always heard about how racist some companies are, but have never experienced it first hand.

I was hit by it when I was in Lyr***. I saw how the minorities were ignored and how the 'fairer' race got everything. Be it pay raise, promotions etc.

I was discouraged. Racism is the one thing I truly hate. Growing up in a mixed heritage environment, I don't see a need for us to see what someone is to determine or validate who that person is.

When I was in KM**, things were not as bad. But when I was in Lyr***, everything went from bad to worst. I had a manager who ALWAYS went on MCs and shit and actually got away with it.

What made it even more unfair was the fact that she nagged us off for going off on MCs, which was hilarious.

So needless to say, I was actually very happy and ecstatic when they didn't counteroffer my salary and I resigned, didn't even bother to serve my notice and told them that they can minus it out from my pay, because I simply don't care and I don't want to spend one more minute being affiliated with the company.

I find it hard to believe it myself but I am actually very happy in my present employment. Here it's all about equal opportunity. You work for it, you get  it. You don't, you won't get it. I enjoy working with my team and I enjoy brainstorming with the people in the US finding resolutions. I learn things everyday and that's the only reason why I am not looking for other opportunities. I feel kind of grateful to my bosses for giving me the opportunity and to recognize my potential.

Of course I had to work my ass off to get where I am right now.

I am just learning to take everything easy now and to go back on time, unlike those days when I'd usually stay back and worked for more than 12 hours.

And, being that I am managing my own team now, there are no race issues raised here because in my team, nobody can wax my butt off to get what they want from me. You want something, you will have to prove to me that you can do it and you deserve it.

I will give you the opportunity if you can take all the rap and criticism. Not easy, I am still getting it.

So right now, I am thankful that I made the move to KL.

Although I have my own career plans to follow and I know I won't be working for other people for long, for now, the only way to go is up, because there are too many things for me to learn and I would never know where my credibility could take me.

And to all my ex psycho bosses :

2 comments:

  1. LOL!

    You sound like a slave driver.

    But at least you get the job done eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Izso: Again, me no slave driver.

    Just a person who is serious about her job, and expecting everyone to have the same opinion about the thing that puts rice into our bowl. :P

    ReplyDelete