Thursday, May 17, 2007

Being Teachy

The last time I celebrated Teachers’ Day was in the year 1998. I was doing my upper 6 and somehow I got dragged into an accapella ensemble with a few classmates. Imagine, me, with bigger bum, hideous 6th former uniform (white tudung, white Baju Kurung with a nice looking name badge, school logo badge and some other badges (I was a librarian… yes, Sarcy was a librarian. Sila crucify saya.) with light brown bottom) singing some Malay song that I could not even remember anymore.

What I remembered most about Teachers’ day is the pot luck food. I would usually offer to bring kuihs, because my mum was not the type to spend her time in the kitchen to prepare food for any school occasion. Kuihs are easier to find and buy. The rest would have their mothers cooking some heavier dishes, think Mi hoon goreng and fried rice. The teacher, naturally would have to chip in more. The Ko-op would be in business selling teachers’ day gifts and kids would buy them just for the sake of not getting left out. Rich kids buy their gifts outside.

Teachers are someone we looked up to, mostly it was because we spent time with them more than with our own parents. I remembered my ‘Ustazah’ in Sekolah Agama. She was pretty and I have always loved her classes more than the other classes I had to attend.

She made me want to be an Ustazah. The ambition later died after I quit Sekolah Agama to concentrate on my pursue of ‘Ilmu dunia’(Sic!).

When I was in boarding school, I hated my Maths teacher, a hatred that was triggered by my immense dislike towards all things with numbers and algebraic equations. She caused me to lose 10 points of my merit, to which I got back two folds because of my win in the State Debate Competition. Once she even threw my exercise book out of the class and punished me to stand outside of the classroom. Being the rebel that I was, I went to the canteen and got myself something to drink rather than mulling around in the corridor with guilt.

On the final day of SPM, I scratched her car, and destroyed all four of her tyres. My SPM results showed less than impressive Maths score, but to begin with, I don’t even care about Maths, still I was an A-lister with my first grade pass.

Now, my Sister and Cousin are studying to be teachers. My sister wears a tudung and has been buying tonnes of baju kurung to wear during her three month practical in Mersing, otherwise described as ‘tempat Jin Bertendang’. Kids will call her ‘Cikgu Ain’ and she will be someone these kids would aspire to be when they grow up.

I have never wanted to be a teacher. I wanted to be a doctor first which I later on changed to a Traffic Police and then a volleyball player (No thanks to Moero Attack. ‘Tamparan Galaksi berputar!’). When I was in standard 6, I wanted to join the army in the Air forces division to become a fighter jet pilot.

And right now, I don’t have any idea what I want to be. A friend once remarked, ‘Jadi orang dah cukup bagus, jangan sampai jadi cipan dah la.’

Chet!

So, let me wish all teachers a Happy Teachers’ Day. Go easy on them Merit points deductions ay? Afterall, all of us were clueless rebels once before.

8 comments:

  1. 'tamparan galaksi berputar'?or was it 'sommersault berputar'?:p

    neway maero attack was something i religiously watched during standard 1.heh.. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. i remember when i was in std 5 (or was it 6?).. my class was selected to sing for teacher's day.. we had a choir thingy set up.. it goes something like this..

    16 may sudah tibaaaa..
    hari guru yang muliaaaa


    err.. that's all i can remember la.. i was kicked out of the final 4.. dammit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya'a, I remembered those day when we were asked to list down what we wanted to be when we grew up and I listed 'Parajurit Wanita' simply because I cried watching Bukit Kepong...cheh, so emo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hehehe.. that cipan bit is funny..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tiena,

    berputaq ka berpusing ka, something like that la... saya sanggup ponteng mengaji sebab nak tengok ok... masa Ustazah uzur waa sungguh syiok.. good thing that year i was schooling in the morning session.

    Des,

    choir babe.. choir.. HAHAHA.... cannot bayangkanla.

    ReplyDelete
  6. diamond babe,

    criwed watching Bukit Kepong? i cried watching Benjy (The dog). hehehe...

    Chi, glad you found it so...:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey sarcy the coordinator post is fairly junior. U sure u want it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. i know. i think i would have to learn the KL-ites way of doing things before stepping in a bit further up on the scale. i tried to email you by the way but my email was bounced back.

    ReplyDelete