Monday, May 28, 2007

Being reflective over Mocha

I love my kopi mahal.

Especially Starbucks’ Mocha. Sarcy loves it very much.

At times, it keeps me sane, even. I know it sounded weird, but it does.

My mocha keeps me sane.

More often than not, I would be thinking of the less fortunate people around me, those who will not even get to smell the aroma of my Mocha.

It’s hard to not come to that realization in Starbucks here in JB actually. There would always be kids begging for alms from the people who chose to drink at the Al Fresco part of the complex. They would look at you with their somewhat dead eyes, holding out their palms to you.

They don’t go to school, and they don’t hop on swings at playgrounds, and by the looks of it, they lack basic hygiene as well. Their dream is to have the simplest things in life, I figured.

One that would not so much include their need for a hot mug of Mocha.

More often than not, I would be practical and realistic. I would assume that they are actually a part of a vast begging syndicate and that they might have two sets of Television plus a DVD player at home. This happened, and a few of them were rounded up by the authorities.

But sometimes, I could be sympathetic too. It could be that they really don’t have a proper roof over their heads, getting by with less than RM 10 for a few mouths to feed in a day, they would find joy in a few cents given to them by passer bys and those rich people having coffee in designer mugs outside the shopping complex.

Yeah… this happens too.

But, it is all a bit strange as well to later realize that somehow, we could always see only the mother and the child begging for charity at the roadside along Wong Ah Fook Street.

Those kids in a tow could not just happen in a blink of an eye. The woman surely must have had a husband to make those possible?

Now where is the husband and the father to the beggars?

Mocha does that to me sometime. It keeps me sane, it makes me wonder and it rarely makes me feel generous enough to contribute more than RM 1 to the kids holding out their palm to me.

I guess, practicality overtook sympathy when the same kid came over to you more than twice for money. It’s either they could not really remember the people whom they have approached or they just thought that these people might not be able to remember them as all of them kind of looked the same and will give them money anyway.

Unfortunately kiddo, I remember every one of you, thanks to my 4 times a week Mocha fix.

That’s a thought.

6 comments:

  1. I love my caramel macchiato. Mocha also can.

    Bila mau your mocha lagi ni babe? I belanja lagii sekali. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. yup.me love my caramel anytime of the day be it starbucks or cb.:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. the kids are most prob part of some scam. it's so wrong to use them to get money, don't you think so?

    i love the kopi mahal too...but have to think 3 times la...because everytime i buy one, i can feed my kid for 2 days....

    ReplyDelete
  4. hurm, you're the second person I know who loves mocha!

    I only drink mocha at starbucks. iced mocha! and sometimes, hot. only mocha. if they give me extra mocha shots, haiyoooo, best woooo!!!!

    no matter how the word "mengopi" been used all the time, I end up buying iced mocha. yela, takkan nak "mengocha" kot? hehehhe...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sheryl and Tiena,

    maybe we could have a mengkopi session sometime, the three of us and the rest of the glam babes who want to join..

    Stupe,

    that was what i thought too, but sometimes i could not help thinking what if i am wrong... i dont want people to call me an insensitive bitch... now that's just wrong... hehehe...

    dah nama kopi mahal, for the ones with family, memang la kena think three times..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Abby,

    yeah, same here. Starbuck's has the ultimate Mocha! i dont really like CB's Mocha latte, cus i dont really like too much milk in my mix.

    you know how the locals' version of mocha would taste like?? minumlah Neslo... hehehe...

    ReplyDelete