Friday, August 2, 2013

Sizeist

Warning : This post may be sensitive to some folks.

--

I read a news report of how a popular yoga apparel brand shuns plus sized women as one of its' business strategies.

An insider revealed that the larger sizes were placed at the back, as opposed to those whose sizes are 10 and below.

Women are shouting foul because of the company's size-ist attitude towards the plus sized women population.

I have mixed feelings about this.

This is my take on it :

Every company has an image and their own target demographics to cater to. It is an unfortunate reality that certain styles in the yoga world, can't really... flatter bigger sizes.

I was a plus size before, I know how frustrating it was when it comes to shopping for clothes. But, I know where to shop at. I doubt that I would be looking at or wearing any of the things that I am wearing right now back then.

I don't think the yoga pants and tops that I am wearing right now would flatter me, or the manufacturer much 5 years ago.

I have issues with fittings too when it comes to clothes. I have small breasts, and I have a shapely XS-S/sz 2-4 type top half of body. However, being a pear shape, I am an M or a size 6 for the bottom half.

Am I crying foul for the lack of attention to my size? NO. I will just learn to live with it. Find any other brands that work for me.

Really, imagine the pudgier me, going out in this :



I have nothing against plus sized women. When I was one, I took another way to resolve my body image. If there are plus sized women who came over to me saying that they love their body as it is, all the power to you. As for me, as much as I loved my body then, I love the fact that I am able to fit in better in clothes now.

I think, most people should try to see it from a bigger perspective. If we can make something as small as this as an issue, can you imagine how we would perceive bigger issues?

Well, these are my thoughts, and I am in no way trying to defend any corporation or brands out there. I honestly believe, how your ass looks, is not because of the pants, it's because of your body, and how you decide it should look like.

With Love, Namaste,

Ayu


No comments:

Post a Comment